Resigning From Mormonism (Letter & Address to Remove Name From the LDS Church)

How to Have Your Name Removed From the Mormon Church

If you are interested in having your name removed from the records of the church, the best website and the quickest way that we have found is

What is   It is a website where attorney, Mark Naugle offers his services, free of charge, to help you resign from the Mormon church (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints).  Their free service lets you avoid being contacted by your local leaders, which can be a painful process, and provides privacy.

Resignation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

God Bless,

Lee and Kathy Baker


If you choose to write your own letter and mail it in yourself,  here are some helpful suggestions to include in your resignation letter:

  1. Compose your resignation letter stating your current address, name, date of birth. Include any names of minor children under your care including their full names and dates of birth. Those between the ages of 10 and 18 do not have to legally sign the form – but not doing so may cause unwanted delay in processing.
  2. Mail a copy of your letter to LDS Church Membership Records. You may also mail a copy to your local Stake President and/or Bishop (if they are known). Otherwise, simply mail to Membership Records.  (See mailing address below) 
  3. As soon as you receive your “Please Come Back – This is an ecclesiastical matter” letter – you are LEGALLY no longer a member (Please note: This only applies to the United States of America. Please review your local laws on this matter). However, until you receive your final termination letter acknowledging that your name has been removed – you will still be considered a member of record. Therefore you should pursue your name remove/resignation until you receive this final confirmation letter.
  4. Once you have received your termination or final confirmation letter – you should be completely free and consider that your name has indeed been removed. You will no longer be tracked and your membership records will no longer be sent to any local ward in the boundaries of which you live.  NOTE:If you do not pursue the final termination/confirmation letter – then you will be considered a member and you will be hunted down indefinitely by the Church for reactivation attempts.

NOTE: Removing your name from the records of the Mormon Church will stop most all contact from local Ward members. If you live around Mormons it is inevitable that they will pursue you as a neighbor. This is an unfortunate side effect of being Mormon – every member is a “missionary”. Also know that while your name is considered “removed”, you will still be counted among the alleged “14+ million” members until you are 110 years old.

Other things to consider: 

You do not have to meet with anyone. Many times Bishops and Stake Presidents will completely disregard your “no contact” and call you, mail you, or even show up on your doorstep. Any request for meetings should be denied. If the Bishop or Stake President shows up on your doorstep, you can take several actions. You do not have to answer the door. You can politely tell him to please observe the no contact request and to leave immediately. Or, you can do as one Ex-Mormon did and turn the hose on them (an extreme measure and while highly satisfying, is not recommended!)

If the Bishop or Stake President contacts or visits you, this can be a very emotional time for you. If you allow them inside your house, you are giving them a level of control over you. Gather your strength together and tell them NO. Ask them to leave. Do not allow them into your homes; do not allow them to set meetings where you have to go to the local Ward or Stake centers. Physically going to meet with the Bishop or Stake President places you in Mormon surroundings again giving them a high level of control over you.

It is understandable that some of you have had long standing relationships with Bishops or Stake Presidents. Some may be neighbors or even family. These are difficult situations but you are not alone. Many thousands have gone through the exact same steps you have. Register on the Ex-Mormon Forums and post in the Name Removal/Resignation forum – and get nearly instant help from those who have already resigned.

Writing Your Resignation Letter

The first thing you need to do is write your formal “Resignation Letter”. This letter requests to the LDS Church Membership Records that they remove your name from the records of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.

Mail all letters to:

Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

801-240-2053 – Phone
801-240-1565 – Fax
1-800-453-3860 ext 22053 – Toll Free

If you and your spouse are resigning at the same time, be sure to include both of your names on the letter. If you have any children under the age of 18 and wish to have their names removed as well, simply add their names to the letter. If you have any children under the age of 8 years old (who are considered “Members Of Record” if they have been blessed in a Mormon Sacrament Meeting), simply list their names as well, otherwise they will be hounded by Mormons as they get closer to the age of baptism (age 8).

Be sure to provide FULL NAMES and BIRTH DATES of anyone resigning.

It is recommended that you have your letter notarized if it is possible. In the United States you can find a notary at any bank, and if you have an account there they will usually do it for free. You may wish to skip notarization if you have several children listed as each one must be accounted for although unable to physically sign any documents due to being minor children. As stated prior, the Church Handbook Of Instructions states that minor children must sign. Legally in the United States of America – minor children are not allowed to sign any document. I advise that any child over the age 12 but under 18 sign the document – otherwise there may be an increased delay – and demand for signatures.

It is also recommended that you send your letter using “Return Receipt” mail. With the United States Postal Service sending a letter using return receipt usually only costs a dollar or two more than regular mail. This gives you proof that the LDS Corporation has received your letter of resignation. 

You do not need to send a copy of your letter to your Bishop or Stake President. Membership records will automatically send copies of your letter to your current Bishop and Stake President – even if you have moved and have never stepped foot in the local Ward house.

Never send your original letter directly to the Bishop or Stake President. Always send your letter to Membership Records. You can send a copy to your Stake President and/or Bishop if you choose.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Author: Lee Baker

As a former Mormon Bishop and member of the Church for over 32 years, my wife Kathy and I have spent many years in various Leadership positions of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, documenting, verifying and studying, specifically, the original teachings of the Church. I have found many of the most fundamental of these teachings to be completely out of harmony with the Lord’s teachings in the Bible.